Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Calling

As I was nursing Gage yesterday, I was watching Oprah. (What else does a stay at home mom watch, right?) The topic: “What is Your Calling?” Hmm, it got me thinking. What IS my calling? I’ve graduated college with a degree in Interpersonal & Organizational Communications. I feel I’ve always been a good communicator. I’ve moved across country without any reservation, just because “I could”. I’ve been a successful sales person. I became a wife & shortly after a mother. I moved back across country because I thought I needed to share this beautiful little family we’ve created with the rest of the family. I’ve left my precious baby the care of someone other than myself so I could go back to work, only to realize that once I laid eyes on my beautiful baby my “working self” became non-existent & I only wanted to work at protecting, guiding & growing this little person safely in this big scary world. This pattern continued when I laid eyes on my next beautiful baby. I went back to work, only to realize the only job I wanted to be doing isn’t a job I get paid for; however it’s the most rewarding job in the world. Now that I have been so blessed to have my 3rd beautiful child, I find myself in this all too familiar predicament. Do I leave my babies in the care of someone other than myself, or find a way to make “this” work. The “this” I am referring to, is the protecting, guiding & watching my children grow in the most precious, influential period of their life. It is the stage that you “can’t get back”. Once they get old enough to go to school, that’s it,…they are “gone”. They will be in school for another 20 years. Did I mention this is also the cutest stage they can possibly be in? When else is it cute to pass gas, or run around the house butt naked squealing in delight, or celebrate for going #2?
So, after thinking about it…“What is my Calling?” I think the answer seems very clear. My calling is to be here for my children in this influential stage of life. I realize this will change in time, & I will have another “Calling”, once the kids are older. But for now, I want to soak up every moment of their little bodies & HUGE spirits as possible.
Oprah also went on to say. "If your calling is also your job, then you are truly blessed." If I were only so lucky. Now, my next big task,…. relaying my “calling” to my husband & my boss. Hmm, this should be interesting.
It's moments like this I cherish

2 comments:

Kayla said...

well said! you sound like such a good mommy, those kids are lucky! good luck with relaying this to your hubby and boss.

TamaraLove said...

I just came across your blog through a friends. I just wanted to say I totally feel your anguish! I had three kids in 3 years and enjoyed every minute when they were little. I really thought as they got older they would need me less... What I have learned is the older they get the MORE they need you. My kids are now in 10th, 8th and 7th grade and I am STILL torn over the should I work or not thing. I just recently went back to work fulltime and it has been challenging. There is no replacement for a Mommy. Good luck to you with Hubby and Boss! (o: