Sunday, July 20, 2008

Yes, I know that I am the size of a House


So I'm borrowing this post from another blogger who couldn't have stated it better: (Yes, that is the view of my belly this morning)

For all of you women out there who have been pregnant, you know that some people just don't know how to resist the urge to comment on how you carry your baby. Like we have a choice in the matter right? I have been thinking a lot about it lately because I get comments that range from all over the board from, "I looked way more pregnant!" to "You are sooo much larger than I ever was." to "you really are ready to pop aren't you?" or my favorite, "Girl, you aint gonna make it 4 moe weeks, you too big!"
So, my question is why do people feel it is okay to comment on the size of a pregnant woman or compare a pregnant woman to another prego woman when you would NEVER do that to a normal person? Like we don't all ready feel fat-we don't need comments to make us feel worse about our current state! You would never say to a friend, "you look sooo much older than so and so." or "You have way more wrinkles than so and so." Or, "your butt is WAY bigger than so and so". No, we would never say these things. Why? Because they are hurtful and rude and obviously comments that are not thought through-so why friends, why do people think that it is okay to comment on this uncontrollable thing in a womans life-this should be the LAST time somebody should comment on your body size, because A. You CAN'T control it B. You are all ready an emotional reck and C. we ALL READY FEEL FAT-nobody has to say it!
Some people claim that they are giving a compliment when they tell a pregnant woman that they look so pregnant. Like this is a compliment, ever was a compliment or ever will be a compliment. If you question what you should say to a pregnant woman-if you MUST say something, all you have to say is "You look GREAT!" or, "You have that pregnancy glow". (even though it's just the sweat because I'm overheated) These my friends are comments I will take all day.
I am going to become more blunt over the next 5 days that I have left of being pregnant. If someone says something inconsiderate, I am going to call them on it. If they say something like, "Wow, you are huge." I will say at least I can't do anything about it, maybe you should hit the gym since you can!" Maybe I won't be that rude, but I will think of something witty. If any of you have any suggestions what I can say I would appreciate it!
The thing is, my feelings really don't get hurt when people say stuff to me, it just really peeves me when people say these things ESPECIALLY woman who have been pregnant and should know better. Enough ranting, but let's all be more sensitive to the comments we say to all the prego's in the world! And teach all the insensitive people a thing by voicing our thoughts about how rude their comments are!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi. I got to your blog from my niece's blog about her son Daxton. I absolutely love the picture of your belly. I am pregnant with my first and I am having twins (21 weeks along). I'm already starting to get all of the comments so I loved reading your blog. I'm going to have to come up with some witty responses as well! Thanks for the chuckle. Adriana